Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take college courses at Washington's 34 community and technical colleges. Students earn both high school and college credits for these courses and may attend full time at the college, or part time at both the college and the high school. Running Start students and their families do not pay tuition. They are responsible for mandatory fees, books and transportation. Students receive both high school and college credit for these dual credit classes.
Becoming a Running Start student is a big decision and taking college courses during your high school years is not for everyone. Please spend some time to thoroughly read through the Running Start program information on the college websites listed below, as this will help you determine if you are ready for college level work. After you’ve decided that you want to enroll in the Running Start program, you MUST complete steps one through four (below) before moving on to step five and scheduling a follow up appointment with your counselor to discuss Running Start options and sign paperwork (EVF). Students typically begin the application process in April for fall admission to the program.
- Attend the Running Start info session held at BHS in February of each school year, or an info session sponsored by the college you plan to attend for RS.
- Complete the online college application.
- Take the placement assessment and qualify for placement into college-level English (English 101), typically by taking the ACCUPLACER exam.
- Apply to the Running Start program by submitting the Running Start contract/required paperwork to the college’s Running Start office.
- Meet with your high school counselor to receive guidance on classes for your first quarter at the college and complete the EVF form. Following that, you're ready to register for your courses with the college.
Frequently Asked Questions/Things to Know about Running Start. Check this out! It's good info and will answer many questions.
Tuition funding for Running Start classes is based upon the following BHS class to college class ratio:
Classes at BHS
|Free College Credits (each qtr)|