History of Bothell High School
The first school to provide high school classes was built in 1907 on the Hillcrest site, replacing the previous
“white school on the hill” which served grades 1-8. The new structure, built to house grades 1-12 with its boxy,
columned style, resembled many of the traditional school then being built in Seattle. The two large rooms on
the main floor housed four grades each, while the upper floor was for the high school pupils, grades 9-12.
Professor Henry Simonds, who had moved to Bothell from the Midwest with his family in the early 1900’s, had
urged the community to provide high school classes here instead of sending students to Broadway High School in Seattle. He became the first high school principal. Once classes were under way in the handsome, new building, various rural districts around Bothell began contracting with District #46 to send their high school students to Bothell via small buses, even using milk trucks with benches!
The first Bothell High School graduates emerged in 1912, a class of five consisting of Merle and Erma Olin, Nina Beckstrom, Carrie Ross and Sarah Simonds. By 1921, Bothell was the educational center for what is today the Northshore District. The 1907 school on the hill was now bursting at the seams. The total Bothell district enrollment was 330, of whom 89 were high school students.
The school board could see that a separate high school would be needed, so it purchased a site alongside the
Bothell-Everett highway for $8,000 in 1921. The following year, the board asked voters for the district’s first
special assessment, an $8,900 operating levy to cover the difference between what the state and county
allocated and what the district actually needed.
In September, 1921, the school district removed an old orchard from a portion of the newly purchased site and
created a football field. In honor of the occasion, “the high school football team was advanced $233 to buy new football suits,” says one entry in the 1921 school board minutes. A 1920 BHS graduate, Harold “Pop” Keeney, had been hired as the new coach and would subsequently take his team to the state tournament in 1923, losing to Eatonville 10-3 in the finals.
In a May 1922 election, Bothell voters approved a $31,000 bond issue to build a new high school. The vote was 143-40, a 78% yes vote. The two-story brick structure that opened in September, 1923 alongside the Bothell-
Everett highway served the community for the next 30 years. When it opened in 1923, there were five teachers plus coach Harold Keeney. W.D. Bay was the high school principal as well as the district superintendent, but he
was so controversial, the school board paid him off in April 1924 and recruited E.J. McNamara from the North
Bend School District. McNamara was promised a salary of $3,000 for the 1924-25 school year.
By 1927-28, the four-year high school boasted an enrollment of 180. The duties of principal and superintendent were separated in 1929, with Martin Baker named high school principal and McNamara continuing as superintendent. By 1946, the high school had produced its first Rhoades Scholar.
The current Bothell High School was constructed in 1953 on West Hill. Additions and renovations to the one-
story, campus-style building have served the high school community well in the ensuing years. A new gymnasium was added in 1956 at a cost of $463,525. The 1923 structure on Bothell-Everett highway was not
demolished until 1961 because it was used as an overflow structure when Bothell experienced an enrollment
bulge in the late 1950s. The Ruiz-Costie County pool stands on the former high school site.